When buying a property
How Can We Help?
- by dealing with all matters concerning the contract, including negotiating terms with the vendor’s solicitor and reviewing the contract before you sign.
- by making sure your finance is in place before organising a deposit on the property.
- by assisting in the calculation of how much you need for expenses apart from the interest on your loan.
– Stamp duty. Refer to our stamp duty calculator ».
– legal costs
– the cost of searches and inspections.
Members of our team handle the exchange of contracts and attend the settlement.
For a home unit, we also assist with the following:
- arranging pre-purchase strata or company title inspections.
- checking the amount of strata or company title levies.
- making sure you are aware of specific inclusions or exclusions in the contract (such as dishwashers or air-conditioning units).
- checking the Owners’ Corporation financial position, sinking fund contributions, liability and contents insurances.
- Making sure you are aware of the by-laws applying to your building and your rights and duties as a lot owner and member of the Owners’ Corporation.
For a house
- We always advise that you get building and pest inspection reports, and we have access to the best people in the field.
When selling a property
The solicitors from JFM Property follow up on the important basics connected with the sale:
- Where is your certificate of title? (If you have a mortgage it’s with the mortgagee e.g., the bank or finance company).
- We can let your mortgagee know that you are selling the property.
- Do you need legal advice about dealing with an agency?
- What settlement date do you want?
- Have you made a list of all exclusions and inclusions (such as dishwasher, air conditioning units etc.)?
- Are there any particluar issues (such as Council notices or special levies on members of an Owners’ Corporation) which need attention?
For a home unit:
- What are the address and phone number of the strata or company manager or the manager’s contact?