When buying a property
How Can We Help?
- by dealing with all matters concerning the contract, including negotiating terms with the vendor’s solicitor and reviewing the contract before you sign.
- by making sure your finance is in place before organising a deposit on the property.
- by assisting in the calculation of how much you need for expenses apart from the interest on your loan.
– Stamp duty. Refer to our stamp duty calculator ».
– legal costs
– the cost of searches and inspections.
Members of our team handle the exchange of contracts and attend the settlement.
For a home unit, we also assist with the following:
- arranging pre-purchase strata or company title inspections.
- checking the amount of strata or company title levies.
- making sure you are aware of specific inclusions or exclusions in the contract (such as dishwashers or air-conditioning units).
- checking the Owners’ Corporation financial position, sinking fund contributions, liability and contents insurances.
- Making sure you are aware of the by-laws applying to your building and your rights and duties as a lot owner and member of the Owners’ Corporation.
For a house
- We always advise that you get building and pest inspection reports, and we have access to the best people in the field.
When selling a property
The solicitors from JFM Property follow up on the important basics connected with the sale:
- Where is your certificate of title? (If you have a mortgage it’s with the mortgagee e.g., the bank or finance company).
- We can let your mortgagee know that you are selling the property.
- Do you need legal advice about dealing with an agency?
- What settlement date do you want?
- Have you made a list of all exclusions and inclusions (such as dishwasher, air conditioning units etc.)?
- Are there any particluar issues (such as Council notices or special levies on members of an Owners’ Corporation) which need attention?
For a home unit:
- What are the address and phone number of the strata or company manager or the manager’s contact?
Do you have more questions about property conveyancing when you are buying or selling property? Call us at JFM Property Law on 02 9331 0266 or email your queries to us at .